Layout 3 - My Main Layout


My main Layout - or Layout 3 has been through about 4 or 5 different designs, given the only restriction is space.

The ideal place would have been the space that Dad acquired to convert into a workshop, though my dad had to fit a Stove (for heating) and devise a scheme for getting rid of the large rats that used to run about the place.

The only Rats I want to run are Class 25s....

And the Loft is out of the question (for now, anyway).

 

The first design was based around a 6x4ft board, and took most of my bedroom up.
Also- we were restricted to a corner, so getting to the back should there be a derailment would be pretty awkward.

l3_v2

 

 

 

 

l3_v1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Version 1. Complete with sidings and a
Station that boasts 3 Platforms.

 

 

 

 

 


It wasn't too long before this idea was scrapped quicker than the plan to
Electrify the Midland Mainline, and then try an alternative idea of creating a
Terminal Station, complete with 4 Platforms, some carriage sidings,
a Goods Shed and a Loco Run Round.

 

 

Version 2 - it was at this stage I decided to settle on a Power Signal Box panel 
map which would become useful later on when we would need some way to control the 
points and signals.

 

 

 

 

 

l3_v3

 

 


Shortly after the design of V2, I acquired a 4 road engine shed reasonably cheap and wanted to include that in the layout, so the design underwent yet another re-design.

Now including additional sidings, a Refuelling point, A Head Shunt and a siding for the Station Pilot shunter to sit and await duties.

 

 

Version 3 - with additional 4 Road Engine Shed, Refuel Point and Sidings.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The only problems with the first 3 Versions, were the fact it would take up a large corner of my bedroom - and bearing in mind, My Brother and I also need to sleep there too - space was getting tight.

So, I had another rethink, and spent an entire Sunday afternoon in my room with a pile of old cardboard sheets, a pair of scissors and a tape measure - just seeing what we could fit- and where.

I cut the cardboard into lengths of the boards I wanted to fit (it was easier and cheaper to do this, before we brought the wood and cut it all, to find it wouldn't fit).

By Tea-Time, I had come up with an idea that I could easily build a L shaped layout that would fit into a corner of the room, provide enough space for sidings, two stations, and also be flexibile so we coul d just add extra bits as and when we wanted.

Another bonus was that I have also designed a non-scenic section that I can set up and put away easily, making the railway a contiuous loop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

l3_v4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After another re-think on the layout, I worked out that there was still quite a bit if space free, and with a bit of jiggling about, I could make the Goods Yard a little more flexible, for shunting duties.

In all there are 9 sets of points on the layout, and I needed an easy way of controlling them.

I have always been intrested in how Power Signalboxes work, and so we did quite a bit of detective work into the design on the Panels and how they work.

The design for V5, is our Artwork for the signalling control panel which is curerntly under construction in Dads workshop.

It was based on the panel in Derby Power Signalbox, with some modifications to suit our requirements.

So in short - it's not far off an accurate design by British Rail.

Control for the points will be provided by switches, and a push button - this would give me the option to set up any route manually.

However - the clever bit.....

Being a clever clogs with Electronics, My Dad has designed some electronic modules (which we can add as we extend the railway) but which operate just like a proper power box.

In a Power-Box, to set up a route, they press a button at the beginning (Entry) of the route, and a button at the end (Exit) of the route required.

By pressing these two buttons, it sets the points and route for the train to pass (providing there is no train in front of course).

This is what is currently under test in the workshop.... more details to follow soon!

 

 

 

dbypb

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Version 5 - the Final Design, with revised sidings and Junctions.
This is the artwork for the Signalling Panel.

 

 

 

 

 

The Station Panel in Derby Power Signal Box, came into service in July 1969.

      

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Manual Point Switches are shown at the top of the Derby Panel.

On my panel, these switches are grouped on the Left.

Also - a future idea is to add displays at the station end, so we can add in Train Descriptions and run to a bit of a timetable.

My Dad has worked out how to do this, but we need to find some displays similar to those on the panel.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

l3_v5

 

Version 4 - Something that fits, and can be added to as and when.

BACK