Layout 2 - Portable Layout


I designed this kayout as I needed something that was lightweight, small for easy storage, quick to set up, but also something I could run my locos on continuously without too much mucking about swapping engines and coaches.

I set to with a maximum size of the board I could get away with, and then dug out the box of old spare track that we had stuck in the loft for future reference.

Luckily, my Dad has a small workshop, which is capable of most small engineering projects involving Wood, Metal, Plastics and especially Electronics.

Armed with the box of track, I tried out different configurations which would fit on my board.

l2v2

 

 

 

 

 

l2v1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Version 1 - A simple circle and two 
sidings which were too small.

 

 

 

 

 


After a morning of tinkering with bits of track, I was beginning to think that I had set myself a bit of a tall order using the smallest possible board, to fit a reasonably large track with some long sidings on.

So, over some Sandwiches and a Drink while listening to Absolute 80s in my Dads workshop, I came up with an idea for Version 3..........

 

 

 

Version 2 - Same Circle, but with additional
short sidings.

 

 

 

 

 

l3v1a

 

 


I had decided from the start, that I wanted a continuous track, and at least one siding.
At the same time, I had fixed the idea that the board needed to be easy to move about and store.

That required the board to be cut in half, so it can fold up- which restricted any siding length; bearing in mind my original design brief was this:

* Continuous Track
* Lightweight and Easy to set up.
* Small enough to store
* A least one siding.
* Use what bits I had readily available.

So, Version 3 ended up with Two sidings and a Headshunt.

The shorter siding could be used for stabling a locomotive, and the longer siding used for a coach or two.

 

Once I had settled on a layout, I drew round the track, so the layout was drawn onto the board, to help me with laying out the Cork.

 

 

Version 3 - complete with Headshunt, and two 
sidings of different lengths.

 

l3vb

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

V3 Final layout drawn onto the board so I can 
begin laying the Cork track bed.

 

 

 

l3vc

 

 

 

 

 

 

l3v3d
Once the Cork was laid, I painted the entire
 board with Grey primer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

l2v3e

 

 

 

l2v2g

 

 

 

 

With the wiring installed, it was time to
 test the wiring and track - to ensure I had
a complete circuit. 

 

 

 

 

 

Time to test with a Loco, and then on to
Phase two, fitting the hinges, handles and
catches.
      

 

 

 

 

 

 

All wiring tested OK, so time to give the track
and points a rubdown with a track cleaner.
      

 

 

 

 

l2v3f

 

And then once the paint had fully dried out, 
it wastime ti begin pinning down the track and 
installing the wiring.

 

BACK